Our History

The CHUM was founded in 1995 through the merger of 3 Université de Montréal teaching hospitals :

  • Hôtel-Dieu: est. 1645 (Canada’s oldest hospital)

  • Notre-Dame: est. 1880

  • Saint-Luc: est. 1908

The Stroke Unit opened in 2000 at the Notre-Dame site, founded by Dre Louise-Hélène Lebrun, a stroke pioneer in Québec and Canada

In 2017, the 3 sites were physically merged at the site of the current CHUM​, one of Canada's largest university health centres

Our Neurovascular Health Program obtained a Distinction Award from Accreditation Canada in 2019

Carousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel imageCarousel image